Certified Lighting Controls Professional (CLCP)
Demand for LED lighting and advanced lighting controls is accelerating. As lighting and controls become increasingly complex, customers need qualified professionals. NALMCO’s Certified Lighting Controls Professional® (CLCP™) designation provides assurance that a professional is highly educated about lighting controls based on high-quality curriculum designed by the controls industry.
The CLCP is based on the education curriculum developed by the Lighting Controls Association’s Education Express online education system at LightingControlsAssociation.org. There is no cost to access LCA’s Education Express.
Please read NALMCO’s white paper focused on the Revolution in Light
to understand the market forecast for this certification program.
The CLCP certification is ideal for all professionals in the lighting industry, including:
Project Managers and Auditors, responsible for design, layout specifying controls on any upgrade, renovation or new construction projects;
- Managers who oversee projects and Project Managers;
- Purchasing Agents who make product recommendations or final buying decisions;
- Sales Professionals who work directly with clients and create proposals;
- Lighting Technicians who install and maintain lighting and controls;
- Architects who need to keep apprised of Green energy code adoptions;
- IT Professionals who need an integral understanding of wireless gateways, controls, products and energy codes; and
- Educational Institutions offering courses or supplemental content to prepare emerging professionals for a fast-paced industry.
The CLCP exam covers:
- Introduction to Lighting Control
- Switching Control
- Dimming Control
- Lighting Control System Design
- Lighting Controls for Existing Buildings
- Commissioning and Lighting Controls
- Daylight Harvesting
- Lighting and Commercial Energy Codes
- Personal Lighting Control
- Lighting Control and LEDs
- Wireless RF Lighting Control
- Intelligent Lighting Control
Please use the CLCP Candidate Handbook to understand the process of application and registration.
This Handbook covers:
- Exam Qualifications
- Administration and Registration Process
- Exam Fees and Certification Renewal
- LCA Education Express Account Set-Up
- Exam Preparation Tips
- CLCP Application
Prerequisites for the examinations include:
- Applicant must pledge in writing to adhere to the NALMCO Code of Ethics.
- Applicant must complete all learning modules about lighting controls technology through the Lighting Controls Association's (LCA) Education Express and have the ability to provide documentation showing completion of each module. Or, Applicant must certify that s/he has the equivalent industry experience to sit for the exam without completion of each LCA Education Express Module.
You must submit a completed CLCP application and submit payment to NALMCO Headquarters before you are eligible to sit for the exam. After your application has been processed, applicants will receive information about their testing session.
Preparing for the Exam
Candidates must complete all training modules found in the Lighting Controls Association’s Education Express and have the ability to provide documentation showing completion of each module. LCA’s Education Express is no cost. Simply create an account, then complete each module and quiz.
Registering for the Exam
- Enroll in the CLCP Certification program online.
- Review CLCP Candidate Handbook prior to scheduling your examination.
The continuing education is essential to enable certified individuals to respond rapidly to the changing conditions and technology of the industry. To remain certified, a certified lighting controls consultant must accumulate 24 professional development hours (CEUs) for each three-year period. Notification will be sent by USPS when it’s time to certify. The CLCP certification renewal is $200.
Track your certification renewal hours throughout your renewal cycle using the NALMCO Certification Renewal Credits Tracker below. (Note: This is an Excel file that will be downloaded to your computer. Check your "Downloads" folder to find and open the file.)