Certified Lighting Management Consultant (CLMC)
The Certified Lighting Management Consultant® (CLMC®) program recognizes members of the lighting management industry who have demonstrated superior knowledge and technical expertise. The CLMC is one of the industry’s highest certification achievements. It is the oldest nationally-recognized lighting certification program in the nation, as well as the first to be accepted by EPA’s ENERGY STAR®.
Exams are delivered in-person at a NALMCO-sponsored event
or virtually through unique biometric ID verification and AI-assisted participation monitoring. The exam covers:
- Characteristics and proper usage of lamps, ballasts and usage of fixtures and controls
- Lighting layout designs and applications
- Energy conservation related to lighting and controls
- Lighting maintenance, recycling and disposal practices
- Sustainable lighting practices
- A minimum of three (3) years performing in the capacity of a lighting management professional plus a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university OR a minimum of five (5) years performing in the capacity of a lighting management professional.
- Candidate shall have been in the lighting management industry in a position that directly affects the operation, modification, maintenance, or design of a lighting system.
- Candidate must pledge in writing to adhere to the NALMCO Code of Ethics.
- Candidate must earn a minimum of 200 points as outlined in the CLMC application.
- Review the CLMC Candidate Handbook and Application requirements, testing process and exam preparation.
- Register for the exam and pay the application fee online.
You must select CLMC Exam Registration Virtual Proctored or CLMC Exam Registration In-Person.
Content Review Sessions
Participate in a live CLMC Content Review Session. Content Review Sessions are held prior to NALMCO sponsored events and throughout the year by Zoom. Participation is vital to success. During the Content Review Sessions, instructors explain concepts and answer questions. Convent Review Sessions provide peer-to-peer learning opportunities.
When you register for the exam, you will be provided with a link to access the recorded Content Review Session. This is another resource as you prepare for the exam.
The Knowledge Center found on www.NALMCO.org provides additional resources and study materials.
The continuing education of lighting management consultants is essential to enable them to respond rapidly to the changing conditions and technology of the industry. To remain certified, a lighting management consultant must accumulate 40 professional development hours (CEUs) for each three-year period. Notification will be sent by USPS when it’s time to certify. The CLMC certification renewal is $300. Review the CLMC Renewal Form for current recertification requirements.
Track your certification renewal hours throughout your renewal cycle using the NALMCO Certification Renewal Credit Tracker.